Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

I won't do a long, warm and fuzzy speil about how thankful I am or how great it was to share the day with family. Because all those things are SO true, but they have been said so much more eloquently by many other bloggers out there today and I'm still in a bit of a non-turkey induced food coma of un-creativeness.

Dinner was a collaborative, and all vegetarian, potluck put together by my sisters and myself; We had almost 30 people celebrating with us. Family, significant others, in-laws and friends. (Oh, and the dogs!)

My family is lacto-ovo vegetarian and pescatarian, (I'm the rebel vegan) but at least 8 people there had never celebrated a Turkey-free Thanksgiving. Everyone remarked how wonderful dinner was, even the omnis in the crowd said it was the best Thanksgiving meal they'd had!

Here are random pictures of the day... a few of the people and some of the items we served. (I didn't get pictures of everything, it was set up buffet style on little tables all around the house, but here are a few highlights...)

The non-tofu vegan pumpkin pie and the stuffed mushroom recipes are posted elsewhere here on my blog, I believe, and the others? I'm too tired and too lazy to post recipes right now, but they're pretty simple and basic - probably the same as, or similar to many you'll find out in Google-land.

Not pictured were a multitude of other dishes - all of it lacto-ovo, all of it from scratch - no mixes, no cans, no instant anything... most of it vegan. Mashed potatoes with two types of gravy, cheese-laden-potato something, brussel sprouts, mashed squash, salads and salads, rolls, green-bean casserole, dressing/stuffing, wild rice, some sort of bean patties with gravy, and veggies and dip, cheesecakes, tart, jello and pies. Many pies.

Happy weekend to all of you, hope your day was wonderful.

12 comments:

bazu said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Your family celebration sounds wonderful- and I love the kids and dogs photos!

Anna Down Under said...

I'm so happy I stumbled upon your blog! The pictures all look so yummy! I'm fat-free vegan right now because I'm trying to lose weight, but for special occasions I may have to try some of those!

If you have any favorite recipes that are fat free (or would be easy to convert) I'd love to know.

Anna

Anonymous said...

Happy belated thanksgiving!

all looks wonderful.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Thanks!

FFVegan, glad you stopped by - I am sure I SHOULD be cooking fat-free, unfortunately I don't make that modification in my cooking as often as I should :)

Feel free to change out the ingredients in any recipe you want!

Dori said...

Happy turkey-free day! The neat-balls look awesome. I think I am going to do something like this soon. I wish I could reach through the screen and take one.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful celebration. I love the veggie-friendliness of your family. If only all of our families could be so open and forward-thinking!

urban vegan said...

Looks like you cooked up quite a feast. The pie and the mushrooms look especially enticing--and your family, both 2- and 4-legged, seem quite content.

Webly said...

I'm going to have to find the tofu nut recipe! Everything looks so great!

JENNA said...

What a wonderful thanksgiving meal you had. I dream of one day having my family over for a vegan thanksgiving..sadly I never see that happening..I can still dream.

Sheree' said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I keep meaning to make those tofu-nut balls and always forget by the time a special dinner comes and goes. This time I am making a note and hang it on the fridge.

TB said...

Cute dogs and what an amazing spread! Looks like you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and how lucky that everyone was willing to celebrate veggie-style.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness it all looks WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!