Monday, October 29, 2007

Zucchini and Veggie "Lasagna"

Zucchini and Garden Veggie Lasagna

You know it's time to clean out the vegetable bin when I make this stuff.

I use the term "lasagna" here rather loosely, because this recipe has no actual lasagna noodles in it. I make this for potlucks a lot during the late summer, it uses up a nice variety of vegetables!

Zucchini and Veggie "Lasagna"

2 6-inch zucchini, sliced very thin (I use a mandolin slicer)
2 6-inch yellow summer squash or yellow crookneck, sliced very thin
1 cup pureed pumpkin or squash
1/2 a large sweet onion, sliced thin
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
2 large fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced
handful fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 - 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan


Tofu "Ricotta" Lasagna Filling (See recipe below)

In a deep, well-oiled casserole pan, lay down a single layer of summer-squash, then with a single layer of mushroom slices slices.
Spread a 1/2 of tofu "ricotta" over squash. (use about 1/2 of the mixture).
Layer sliced fresh tomatoes and basil leaves over "ricotta.
Spread pumpkin or squash puree over tomatoes.
Layer thinly sliced onions, zucchini, mushrooms and any remaining summer squash.
Pour remaining "ricotta" over veggies, it should cover all of them. (If not, add a bit more soymilk, up to a 1/2 cup or so).
Top with a layer of marinara and sprinkle with nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan.
Cover with foil and bake 45 min. Remove foil and bake 15 - 20 min until set and not juicy (sometimes the veggies are far more juicy than other times, if this happens, turn oven up and bake another 15 minutes or so. Sorry, this isn't an exact science here.)
Remove from oven and let set 10 minutes or so before serving.

"Tofu-Ricotta"
1 Cup of soy or rice milk, heated but not boiling!
1/2 Cup of raw cashews
1 box silken tofu
1/2 carton Tofutti Cream Cheese
1/8 Teaspoon of salt
1 Teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 Cup of nutritional yeast flakes
*2 garlic cloves
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
2 Tb. cornstarch
1/4 cup fresh herb leaves (I use a mixture of basil, oregano, sage, parsley and rosemary)
In food processor or GOOD blender (like a Vitamix) place the very warm milk and cashews in first, blend until liquefied, (careful, hot liquids can splatter) then put in the rest of the ingredients and blend until thick and creamy.
Should be fairly thick but still a little"pourable" like very thick pancake batter, add more soymilk if needed.


Once completely cooled, this "lasagna" sets up really nicely. It can be reheated, covered with foil in the oven or in the microwave, it's even pretty good cold in lunches!

----------------------------

And on a final note, my littlest sprout went to the pumpkin farm this morning with her 2nd grade class. Here are some of them riding the little tractor-drawn cart out to the field. (She's in the maroon sweatshirt). I love their excited little faces! Who doesn't LOVE getting a nice big pumpkin!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum, this looks awesome,
the kids looks very cute!

bazu said...

I love veggie-centric meals like this! What more could you ask for?

Veggie Cookster said...

Ooooooh, a pastaless Lasagna. What an awesome idea! :)

Susan said...

This is making me really hungry! It looks delicious, and I love that it has pumpkin in it. I will have to add this to my menu soon.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

this lasagna looks like a winner.

Ashasarala said...

I love lasagna. With or without noodles, it doesn't matter! The veggies and the tofutti ricota mix are what it's all about!

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing! How did you get it so firm and well set?! I am amazed! My all-veggie lasagna recipes always turn out so soupy and sloppy...they taste good, but never look as good as yours! I will have to give your recipe a try!

Thanks!
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a fan of your blog- the recipes are delicious- even my omni family enjoy them :D
I linked your blog on mine- hope you don;t mind ^^
I plan on trying that amazing looking lasange in the future.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Courtney, I admit I let the "lasagna" cool off a wee bit before taking this picture... It was somewhat softer while still hot. Putting some cornstarch in the "cheese" mixture absorbs some of the moisture too.

Bean_ thanks for stopping by, I don't mind the link to my blog at ALL!