Sunday, September 09, 2007

Ruby Roasted Veggies

I've had a vegetable crisper full of odd veggies that needed to be used yesterday or hopefully before they became science experiments in mold growth.


I don't use a lot of turnips or sweet potatoes in everyday cooking, even though I like them a lot, I guess I just haven't been feeling too inspired lately.


So, I took the veggies, cleaned them, cut into odd pieces and threw in a roasting pan with some olive oil, lemon pepper, minced garlic and herbs from the garden. Poured about 1/2 cup veggie broth and 1/2 cup white wine over everything, covered with foil and baked at 400 degrees.


45 minutes later I removed the foil, then baked another 20 min or so...


I had a luscious pan of oven-roasted veggies, all stained brilliant magenta from the beets.

Everything mellowed and tasted toasty-sweet and the flavors blended wonderfully.

I was surprised. My kids LOVED the veggies and seriously licked the pan clean!

3 comments:

aTxVegn said...

I like your idea of adding wine to the veggies!

Sorry I missed your b'day - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Amy said...

Mmmm these look yummy! I'll have to remember them as a tasty stylish (but dead easy) side dish!

Amy said...

Beautiful!

One of the Moosewood cookbooks has a great recipe for sweet potato and black bean burritos--in case you want to give the sweet potato some love.