Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Belgian Waffles and Chunky Nectarine Sauce

My Sprouts wanted Belgian Waffles today - you know, the big, fluffy kind with the oversized 'waffle' pattern?

I discovered I don't have good luck with heavier, whole-wheat pancake batters when making these waffles, so I had to modify my "standard" vegan pancake recipe somewhat.

It now turns out light, crisp and wonderful but I'll admit it took some experimentation to get to that point...
Well, lazy cook that I am, I had planned to simply serve these with maple syrup, but as I put the piping hot waffles on the table in my best Betty Crocker imitation, a little Sprout voice said "But I wanted a FRUIT SAUCE topping..."

*Gasp!*

SuperMom to the rescue, of course.
(Who am I to deprive my Sprouts of FRUIT?)

My "recipe"?

Cut up two super-ripe nectarines.
Throw in food processor for a few seconds...

Presto! - "chunky nectarine sauce", I feel like a chef!

Now, admittedly, it may look like barf in the photo (sorry for that mental image, really) but seriously, it was a HUGE hit!! And what could be better for you than plain fruit, really?

The potatoes are some baby Yukon Golds that we scored at the Farmers Market, fried crispy with some sea salt. Truly decadent.
-------------------------------

Here's the waffle recipe.
It works in both a regular waffle iron or the Belgian kind...

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup white flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 cups soy or almond milk I like vanilla almond milk here but use whatever - rice milk is too thin)
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp ground flax seed whizzed with 6 Tbsp soymilk
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
In a blender or food processor, combine remaining ingredients and process until well-combined and "airy".
Add soymilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until moistened - don't overmix or the waffles will turn out tough and heavy, a few lumps are fine.
Mixing the wet ingredients in a blender introduces lots of air bubbles, to make the waffles light and fluffy.
Cook according to your waffle maker.
The batter is enough to make 4 - 5 large Belgian waffles.

17 comments:

KleoPatra said...

i'm giving that recipe to my pal Peter to make in his wafflemaker this weekend! Woo hoo! And way to get that rootin' tootin' frooty sauce for the toppin'. YOU ARE A CHEF!! Your sprouts have it so good with mom in the house cookin' up stuff like this. Well done!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Ack! You caught me before I edited... Hopefully it's now all corrected...

And thanks!!

Monika K said...

This waffle recipe sounds great - glad to hear that your "sprouts" love fruit (3 down, millions to go). (-:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

yet another great recipe!! thanks for posting it - belgian waffles are terrific with fresh fruit

aTxVegn said...

I love breakfast posts because I never eat it and I can see what I'm missing. I do have a waffle maker in the top of my coat closet!

I would love to be able to get fresh marionberries. The pie looks amazing!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

now all I need is a waffle iron! I'm with Sprouts, this looks great & way to go whipping up the fruit topping (I picture you with a cape!)

Anonymous said...

looks very good, that my kind of breakfast too!

Tanya Kristine said...

damn that looks good. i loves me some waffles!

bazu said...

Yes, how can you turn down a child's request for fruit, for goodness sake?! Yum!

Unknown said...

Hi Tofu Mom! Thanks for stopping by my blog! The waffles look declicious! As for the cafe where I ordered something that sounded 'too healthy' - it is Laughing Planet cafe... I don't know if they have any in WA, but they are scattered throughout Portland, if you ever get down this way.

Tanya Kristine said...

i believe it's time for a new post, Ms. TM

vko said...

Yum yum yum- I need a wafflemaker so I can make waffles!

And by the way Tofu Mom, your little Sprout's Vegan Barbie Blog is the funniest thing ever. I adore it.

trina said...

This is my new favorite waffle recipe. I'm making more right now.

stephanie said...

yummy recipe! I used flax milk, because that's all i had, and it turned out great! I didn't mix ingredients in the order recommended, and I think that made them pretty dense. But SO good! Thanks for sharing this!!!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Stephanie - glad these worked for you!! Flax milk can be a bit of a thickener, it sometimes makes baked recipes turn out a bit on the dense side, as you discovered... Just add more liquid and blend bit more if you want them "lighter"... YAY!!

sallyomally said...

Score another one for Tofu Mom! I've never had luck making waffles;they were usually heavy and sort of "gooey". I learned from this recipe that I may have been over mixing. Whatever the case, these came out nice and light-crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. We enjoyed them with southern fried tofu,steak fries and Tofu Mom's tomato gravy. I give this a 10 out of 10!

JasonLooseArrow said...

We made these last night after buying a giganto waffle maker for making our own vegan waffles and they were great!