Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

Dinner tonight was pasta and sauce again. Mushrooms, summer squash, roasted peppers and caramelized onions on the side. :drool:
I don't eat pasta as often as I blog about it, but I'm beginning to think maybe it's the only time I remember to take a picture, as it's always so pretty and colorful and yummy looking. Or, I confess, I just like pasta, what can I say? Tonight I used Eden Organic Saffron Ribbons, they were wonderful!

We also had an awesome green salad with all sorts of veggies, SO pretty, and THAT I did forget to get a picture of. I'm slipping, I tell ya!

Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce:

2 cups fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 ounces pine nuts
2 oz. silken tofu (or a couple heaping Tablespoons)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup vegan (Tofutti) sour "cream"
1 cup soymilk
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a food processor, combine basil and garlic. Begin processing, and pour in olive oil in a thin stream. Process for about 40 seconds, or until mixture begins to emulsify. Add pine nuts and silken tofu, then blend for 1 minute.
Heat sour "cream" and soymilk in a saucepan over low heat until simmering.
Pour 1/2 of the hot "cream" into the processor with basil pesto, and pulse for 20 seconds to incorporate. Pour mixture back into "cream", and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, serve over hot pasta or use in lasagna.
You can thicken with cornstarch while heating the "cream" part, if you want a thicker sauce, or just use more pine nuts (which is what I did).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll leave you with a picture of the cat in his favorite new resting spot. Not MY favorite place for him to be, but it IS rather funny.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a cute cat photo, so funny!

thanks for the recipe.

Tanya Kristine said...

Holy CRAP that sauce looks delicious! although i wouldn't serve it over kitty...ewie.

Dori said...

I see the soup bowl from tupperware above ( I have one like it) and the big that-s-a-bowl from tupperware holding resting kitty. I have a couple of those bowls myself (and a couple of kitties as a matter of fact, but not a kitty in a bowl like you.

Why have I been vegan and a gardeneer for so long, yet never tried pesto anything. Your recipe looks doable, but I will have to wait for fresh basil come end of June.

Seitan Wörshipper said...

That sauce looks delicious, and also cat in the bowl( okay,that was not a good joke.. ;)Beautiful cat!)

Veggienetters said...

Ma'am, there's a hair in my soup. I have 7 cats and none of them have tried this yet... I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)