Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ecuador! Home Again, Home Again...

Several of you have asked if my oldest Sprout returned safely from her trip to Ecuador.

Thank you.

I'm happy to report that J-Sprout's home safe and sound with hours of DVDs she'd recorded, hundreds of photos and all kinds of crazy stories about five-inch tarantulas and swimming in waterfalls.... Sounds like they had a blast.
(That's her on the right, standing exactly on the equator with two of her friends.)

The trip was sponsored thru Maranatha International and involved a bunch of students and staff from her school. While in Ecuador, the kids (well supervised, I was assured!) built a classroom for a school and a medical clinic I think. (As well as having days off for shopping, sightseeing, and whatever else teenagers do in foreign countries).

The crazy thing is that my middle Sprout (J's younger sister) just headed out with Grandparents for a similar trip. ALSO to Ecuador ironically. Grandpa is a retired Physician and goes on various medical missions all over South America - often taking older grandchildren along - this will be middle Sprout's first trip;

For your entertainment, amusement or viewing pleasure, here are two more pictures from my J-Sprout's trip - an open-air market as seen through the eyes (or camera lens) of a 15-year-old... this is her third (or maybe fourth?) trip like this, so she's an old hand at taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the local area...
Wish I knew what half those beautiful fruits were called!

(Caution, she was going for "Shock-Mom" value here with the pix of the meat market stall..).


Can we all just say "EEEwwwwwwww!!!"

12 comments:

KleoPatra said...

OMG, how cool... sans that last photo. SADNESS on that one. What a cool thing tho for her to do, to travel there! LUCKY girl!!!

bazu said...

So cool that your daughter is home- you must have missed her! Lately, bloggers are making me so jealous, because everyone is taking such cool trips! (Ok, enough whining from me). I'd love to go to Ecuador right now and just set up camp at a fruit stall!

Tracy said...

Ack! That's a gruesome photo. But what an opportunity for your daughter! I'm a little jealous....:0)

urban vegan said...

What a great trip and market photo.

I hate to see the meat markets when I travel and even in home groceriy stores, for that matter. It's funny how removed most people are from the fact that they are dead beings' bodies. SO morbid and dark.

Anyway--your blog is light, positive and promotes good vibes--so thanks!

Dori said...

What a treat for me to stop by and catch up on your blog writings today!
I love that you shared your daughters trip. I love the outdoor market! I have never been out of the country, but shopping at an outdoor market like such is on my "want to do before I die" list (sorry morbid way to say it).

Eeeeek! The meat - yuck. Nice shock value though. :)

Anonymous said...

i will love to visit ecuador too!

aTxVegn said...

Glad your sprout made it home safely and had a wonderful trip doing wonderful work. Big ewwww on the meat pic, but what a beautiful fruit stand! I hope you'll post some more pictures of her trip.

Michelle said...

Oh, wow, that looks amazing! (Well, the fruit, not the meat. That's scary.) That is a wonderful opportunity, though. ^.^

Twisted Cinderella said...

I love an open-air markets! I used to go to one all the time.

Douglas said...

Its so funny how the world just walks by all the death hanging in the open air market. People just dont care.

Beautiful pics though aside from that!

scottishvegan said...

Glad your daughter is home safe and well and had a good trip! Yes, I agree that the word for that last photo is Eeeeeeew!!!

Seitan Wörshipper said...

Lovely coloured and mouth watering pictures from that fruitmarket place but that "murder" market picture make`s me "sick".. "oh, what a lovely carcasses hanging on those little hooks!"..Eh..But saddly that is reality.