Saturday, March 17, 2007

ALOO MUTTER GOBI (Spicy Cauliflower, Peas and Potatoes)

Cauliflower is abundant and cheap in the winter farmer's markets around here so we loaded up on it today - in fact, one of the market sellers told me our valley here in the shadow of Mt. Rainier grows cauliflower commercially for most of the grocery stores and produce vendors in the US! Wow. I knew there were a lot of vegetable farms in the area but still found that fact interesting...
Fortunately, my kids all LOVE the stuff too, so I take advantage of that fact, and here's yet another reason I'm loading up on cauliflower:


"Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and brussels sprouts contain a compound called indole-3-carbinol (I3C), a potent antioxidant that breaks down estrogen in the body, that reduce the risk of breast cancer and other estrogen-sensitive cancers, like cancer of the ovaries and cervix." ~American Cancer Society

So YAY! Great reasons to eat the stuff.
Here's what my lil' Sprout requested for part of the cauliflower tonight. She LOVES all things curried and spicy.

Aloo Mutter Gobi (Spicy Cauliflower, Peas and Potatoes)
I tend to like this with a lot more sauce than you might find at some Indian restaurants - we like extra flavors to soak into the rice with the vegetables. Don't be intimidated by the long list of spices, it's not overly "hot" and WAY easier than it appears, well worth it for the authentic taste.
  • 1/2 medium-large head of cauliflower, broken into bite-size florets
  • 1 medium potato, cubed
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp. fenugreek seeds (can be made without - though it does add flavor)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp red cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp. fresh pressed garlic
  • 2 tsp. curry powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 2 Tbsp minced or grated fresh ginger
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
  • Aprox. 1 cup or 1 8 oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup coconut milk
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. (I use a large, rather deep cast iron skillet.) Add the seeds and stir until they sizzle and "pop". This releases the spices flavor and infuses the oil with it.

Add the onion and ginger, stir-fry for a few minutes until onion is starting to brown at the edges.
Lower the heat and add in the spices from garlic to curry powder. Stir only a few seconds to get the spices coated with oil and just starting to heat.
Add the potato and cauliflower and stir well to mix in the spices. Add the salt and garam masala.
Add the water and let the vegetables cook until tender. I cover the pan and let the veggies cook in their own juices which are released due to the salt.
Stir every 5 minutes to evenly cook the vegetables.
When water has evaporated or vegetables are cooked, add green peas, garam masala, tomatoes and coconut milk.
Simmer for another 10 min. Turn off heat and allow to sit for a few minutes. This really blends the flavors.
Serve with rice.
(OK, I served it with quinoa today because I discovered we were OUT of rice. No one complained!)

15 comments:

urban vegan said...

I love Aloo Gobhi--and I like the addition of the peas.

MeloMeals said...

Lovely... I'm sure it's extra rich with the coconut milk..

Isn't it so cool to see your child eating curry? I love it..

I am so jealous of your winter farmers market... wow.. cauliflower is soooo expensive here right now... like 3.99/head.. and that's not even organic!

bazu said...

That looks fantastic- yay, another good reason to eat cruciferous veggies. I'm so impressed with your daughter eating her veggies. I remember one of my cousins also liked really spicy things, even when he was very young. Good palate!

Candi said...

Yum... cauliflower, peas, potatoes, coconut milk! AAA, I have to make this!! I usually order this at Indian restaurants because I love it, but this will be fun to adjust the spiciness! Thanks for the recipe!!

Twisted Cinderella said...

That looks wonderful. The list of spices reminds me of curry dishes my mother used to make me when I was a child. YUUMMMY!

Sheree' said...

Curry is what I am craving! Your dish looks wonderful. I love the addition of peas. This is on this weeks menu for sure!

Anonymous said...

I love Indian food. I'll have to try your aloo mutter gobi. It looks great. I can't believe your daughter will eat spicy food.

Sheree' said...

I did it! I made it and it turned out pretty darn good. I just finished posting about it. Your pictures are better and yours has more sauce, but we still enjoyed our dinner tonight. Thanks!

Suzanne MacNeil said...

how delicious looking! I bought a can of coconut milk a while ago that I'd been meaning to use for an Indian dish, and this recipe presents the perfect opportunity!

Funny, I've never been crazy about cauliflower until I tried it in curry-ish dishes. I love it now!

Anonymous said...

yum ,this looks so creamy and good!

i love the girl shirt!

KleoPatra said...

This looks SO good!! Peas are a gread addition indeed to the cauliflower 'n' potatoes!! And your daughter is adorable. I would never have been so adventurous at her age. More power to her. And to you!! Love love love the tie-dye t-shirt. Wonderful post, FOTM!!!

madeinalaska said...

Looks really good.. It is really too bad I used up my cauliflower last night.. or I would be soo making this tonight!
I can so relate to your bits of anxiety about your kids traveling abroad.. When my older kids were about 14 their uncle took one to new zealand and another to Thailand .. eeekkk its hard to be that far away! Even when you know they are in very good hands!

scottishvegan said...

I just wanted to tell you that I made this and it was amazing! Me and my husband loved it! I will post about it on my blog tomorrow…thanks so much for the recipe!

lao80 said...

I'm so glad that I came across this. I love aloo mattar but my isn't as saucy as I would like. I'll be trying yours!!!!

Unknown said...

great dish!
not sure if this is a typo, but twice in the recipe you mention to add in the garam masala. Could you clarify at which point the GM goes in?

Thanks!