Sunday, January 29, 2006

Confetti Couscous

Did a major cupboard clean-out last week and discovered a package of couscous I had meant to use at Thanksgiving. Well, tofurky day is long past, but I got inspired anyway and made my favorite couscous salad. It's actually more of a summer-time thing. Maybe?
I don't always use all the veggies, sometimes more of one than another, it depends on my mood and what I have in the fridge.

At any rate, I could eat this stuff 3 meals a day, the girls like it for the most part and it's pretty and colorful, ...yeah, I should be inspired more often!

Confetti Couscous
1 cup uncooked couscous
2 cups (or one can) cooked black beans, well drained and rinsed
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 cup cooked corn (or mini-corn is cool too!)
2 medium tomatoes, diced (sometimes I use little yellow pear tomatoes)
1/2 cup chopped green or Kalamata olives
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 green onions, finely sliced or 1/4 cup minced purple onion
3 Tb. olivie oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Pour couscous in medium heat-proof bowl. Bring 2 cups water to a boil and pour over couscous. Cover and let stand 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork and allow to cool to room temperature.Transfer coucous to large boil. Add remaining ingredients and toss to mix. Serve at room temperature, or chilled.


Johanna3 said...

im looking your past post, i like your blog!

Johanna3 said...

you have so great recipes, i hope you will post soon!